Friday, March 16, 2007

Valerie Plame Testifies

Plame: Leak intended to discredit Wilson

WASHINGTON -
Valerie Plame, the CIA operative at the heart of a political scandal, told Congress Friday that senior officials at the White House and State Department "carelessly and recklessly" blew her cover to discredit her diplomat-husband.


Opening Statement (read all here)

"Good morning, Mr. Chairman, and members of the Committee. My name is Valerie Plame Wilson and I am honored to have been invited to testify under oath before the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on the critical issue of safeguarding classified information. I'm grateful for this opportunity to set the record straight. I've served the United States loyally and to the best of my ability as a covert operations officer for the Central Intelligence Agency. I worked on behalf of the national security of our country, on behalf of the people of the United States until my name and true affiliation were exposed in the national media on July 14, 2003, after a leak by administration officials. Today, I can tell this Committee even more."

more here

and here



and here: White House official: No probe launched into Plame leak
Now why would Mr Bush go and do a thing like that, (investigate his own), even though he said he would?


And yet more: go here. From it:



Anyone who has read Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War, by Michael Isikoff and me, would know (as we disclosed for the first time) that Valerie Wilson was the undercover operations chief for the Joint Task Force on
Iraq of the Counterproliferation Division, a unit of the agency's clandestine operations directorate. (See my piece, "What Valerie Plame Really Did at the CIA," here.) Both the book and the article reported that she had traveled overseas--undercover--within the five years before her name appeared in the Novak column.

UPDATE: Plame-gate: Time to Fire Washington Post's Fred Hiatt by Robert Parry

For what it's worth Ms Plame and Mr Wilson have my support and admiration.

No comments: