Saturday, March 24, 2007

Just Die Already....


"This is kind of pie in the sky," said Devon Herrick, a senior fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis, a conservative think tank. "It's like saying that everyone should have a Cadillac health plan, but at Chevrolet prices. The idea that insurance companies should have to insure everyone, even those with existing health problems, is unrealistic." -- Health News


I was browsing this article on health insurance this morning when I came across this grotesque quote from a Conservative "think tank" (I'm sorry the old political blogger in me still says that's an oxymoron.)

The article concerned the fact that many, if not most, health insurance plans still leave patients of serious illness destitute. As one commentator said "The only thing worse than no insurance is paying for no insurance." How true!

For me, as a post transplant patient, getting insurance again, except for governement programs is probably a "pie in the sky" dream. Insurance companies are not in business to really provide insurance or healthcare. They're in business to maximize their profits and make their CEO's and Investors rich. It's that simple. To them, we're just means to an end - probably a new beach house or private jet.

If the folks at the "National Center for Policy Analysis" had their way, those of us needing expensive transplants, surgeries, or treatments to live should be denied. Their statement to poor or medium income transplant patients? "Just die already, OK?"

The health "insurance" system in this country is horribly broken. I'm currently stuck trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Why? Private insurance will not insure me nor help pay for my treatment or medications. If I return to work then I will lose my Medicare/Medicaid and will never be able to make enough to pay the over $3000 a month just for medication the rest of my life. Of course, I guess maybe I could become the CEO of an insurance company, then I wouldn't have to worry. But I want to work, especially in medicine again - but I don't want to die to do it. Is that "pie in the sky"?

It's time for the "conservatives" (read Republicans) to once in their lives practice empathy and compassion. After all, they are constantly harping on how Christian they are and didn't Christ say, "What you do to the least of these, you do to me."? Think about it guys. It's not just about money - it's about life.

Original Article at Got Liver?


1 comment:

Missouri Mule said...

You nailed, Buck. It's all about the m-o-n-e-y. The insurance companies make my blood boil and yes, they would prefer we all die as soon as possible.
My heart sank when I read about Mrs. Edwards cancer coming back in her bones but then I thought about her steller insurnce and her filthy rich husband and forgive me for saying this, why didn't Edwards mention how blessed they were to have the money and insurance to fight the cancer that millions of Americans don't have. Do you honestly think she'll have to drive herself to chemo? Or clean her own house? Miss a house payment on they're home? Or have to fix her children's dinner on the days she is too sick to get out of bed? Will she be up all night worrying about paying for her medication? Will they go belly up because of her treatment? Edwards had the perfect opportunity to address an issue that is a life and death situation for millions of Americans and I'm sorry, he blew it as far as I'm concerned.