Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Celebrations

Two celebrations for today.
First
day of the Vernal Equinox. First Day of Spring. The sun passed over the equator last night around 8:00 pm. So the 21st is the first day of spring.
The word equinox derives from the Latin words aequus (equal) and nox (night).

Second it's Johann Sebastian Bach's birthday! Born in 1785 on this date. Maybe that's why I've been going over some of his music. Some two part inventions for piano(Klavichord), a French Suite, preludes and fugues and some of the other music he wrote for keyboard.

I've performed the Max Pirani transcription titled "Arioso" many times. I also sang in the "Magnificat" with The Arizona Masterworks Chorale in Phoenix under Mary Ann Dutton. My initiation to the group was the "Carmina Burana" of Carl Orff. Then Verdi's "Il Trovatore", concert version, and another standout was Ward's, "The Earth Shall be Fair". I have so many happy memories of singing with this fine group for the few seasons that I did. Besides our Phoenix performances at Symphony Hall where I also sang with the Arizona Opera later on, we sang in Flagstaff for the Summer Festival.

I auditioned for the tenor part in the Magnificat but I didn't get the part. Mary Ann praised my attempt although I was so new to singing then. I worked very hard on the piece and of course was disappointed but not discouraged. I went on to sing solo parts in many oratorios in the years ahead. My teacher, a few years later, Rico Serbo, taught me at Mary Ann's beautiful home in the Phoenix area for a time when he had only an apartment there.

Sorry ....so much about my stuff on Bach's Birthday, but I need to remember these things right now, I've been out of sorts for so long. Well, back to the studio, I'm coming Johann!

Qoutes:

"Why waste money on psychotherapy when you can listen to the B Minor Mass?"
Michael Torke

"Thus o’er my pipe in contemplation Of such things - I can constantly Indulge in fruitful meditation, And so, puffing contentedly,On land, at sea, at home, abroad,I smoke my pipe and worship God."


Peace.

me and Bach in the Vernal EEquinox

No comments: