Friday, August 25, 2006

My Home Town



Tonight I was delighted to see my home town on CBS news, Assignment America. There's a fight on as to where the real birthplace of the ice cream sundae is. Two Rivers, Wisconsin, claims it and so does Ithaca, New York, among others. It was fun to see a few people I know on the show. It was amusing to watch the two towns go at it. I think it's being done for fun and they sure have gotten alot of publicity.

It's nice to go back to Two Rivers in the summer and enjoy Lake Michigan at Neshotah Park, where I have many, many happy memories. All the fun stuff growing up in the 60's and 70's. The picture is of the Community "House" as we called it then. It had a basketball court and a bowling ally and locker rooms in the basement. Last thing I remember doing there was playing city league basketball with my old buddies from TR.

Yes, there are two rivers, the East Twin and the West Twin, but I like the Native American names, Neshotah and Mishicot.


At the link above you can read the 2006 City of Two Rivers Council Resolution:
RESOLUTION FORMALLY CHALLENGING THE CITY OF ITHACA, NEW YORK’S CLAIM TO BE “BIRTHPLACE OF THE ICE CREAM SUNDAE”

Here's the Ithica proclamation and an editorial titled: Sundae Wars: Tell Two Rivers We All Surrender

No comments: