Monday, February 19, 2007

Some Quotes for Presidents' Day

As I read these quotes and others I found, I thought of how they might be applied to our current President and Administration and how our legistators speak and act today.
Remembering that all is well, and that we are evolving towards greater consciousness, even though on the surface things may seem bleak, dismal and utterly up-side-down. It is, as they say, always darkest before the dawn. What is, is and cannot be changed by what seems to be. Therein lies my rock, my foundation on which I build my house, my beliefs. Peace to you all.



"The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine."

"The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure."

"My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth."

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it."

"The Nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest."


"It is our true policy to steer clear of any permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world."

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."

George Washington




"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion
without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the
accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him."

"Kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars,
pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was
the object."

"We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all
mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each

man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while
with others, the same word many mean for some men to do as they
please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are
two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name
- liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties,
called by two different and incompatible names - liberty and tyranny."


Abraham Lincoln



"I'm the commander — see, I don't need to explain — I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president."
George W. Bush

No comments: