Saturday, February 24, 2007

On the Route



This morning I was pleased to see some old friends in the sky. I first noticed Ursa Major, the Big Dipper, then Ursa Minor. To the east, looking to the right, was Cygnus, the Swan and Lyra just above it. Looking at the sky chart I see that Hercules is just above Lyra and so I'll be watching for him. Then to the south was Sagittarius, which Cygnus sort of points to.

In the past, the astrological sign of Sagittarius was strongly associated with higher learning, philosophy, human progress, religion, life hereafter, and God.

Since giving up the country route I have not been seeing the constellations very often. It was one of the best parts of my "job", although certainly not part of the "job."

I was pleased to remember Lyra, which took a little while to recall the name and then to see Sagittarius again after so long, and it was one of my most interesting and challenging to figure out.

I enjoy the night sky and wish I had the opportunity to see more and more. I remember in the Andes and in the jungles of Peru how bright the stars were and how I didn't recognise any of them, being in the Southern Hemisphere. I also recall the night in Arizona in the White Mountains near Payson, how the sky was absolutely drenched in stars, like nothing I had ever seen before or since.

It's refreshing and therapeutic to commune with these things in nature. How vast and awesome is the universe and how mysterious and glorious to be a part of it.

See the side links for Interactive Sky Chart and Constellations.

No comments: